If you want to introduce more virgin coconut oil into your diet, oriental food is often the way to go. The taste of coconut highlights and complements the exotic flavours, and comes with additional health benefits of eating coconut oil. Try out this Pad Thai recipe for a unique, delicious culinary experience.
Ingredients per person:
- 1 tablespoon of Shore coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of diced shallots
- 70 g rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 1 egg
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 handful of bean sprouts
- ½ chicken fillet, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of palm sugar (brown sugar or granulate sugar will also work)
- 1 tablespoon of dried shrimps (optional)
- Ground peanuts and chilli flakes to serve
Though you may have to visit Asian food stores to find obscure ingredients such as tamarind paste and dried shrimps, most of the ingredients can be found at any supermarket. You can, of course, buy organic, extra virgin coconut oil from us at Shore.
- Start by soaking the rice noodles in accordance with the instructions on the packet – they will generally need to be soaked in hot or boiling water.
- Mix the sugar, fish sauce and tamarind paste in a small bowl or mug, and set to one side.
- Heat your extra virgin coconut oil in the wok, then add your diced shallots. Once the shallots have softened, add the chicken and cook it through.
- Drain the rice noodles, and add both the noodles and the sugar mixture to the wok. Stir fry this for a minute or so.
- Next, move the contents of the wok to one side. In order to make this possible, avoid cooking more than two portions of Pad Thai at a time. Crack the egg, and scramble it in the space you’ve created within the wok. Once you have scrambled the egg, mix it through the rest of the wok’s contents.
- Finally, add the chopped spring onions, the dried shrimps, and the spring onions, and stir fry on a low heat for another few minutes. Serve topped with ground peanuts and chilli flakes according to taste.
This simple recipe with coconut oil should only take 20 minutes to prepare, so be sure to try it out!